Sunday, April 10, 2011

Protecting a new mama's mental health

I recently read an interesting article article about other cultures and how they help prevent postpartum depression.Kathleen Kendall Tackett is a health psychologist and an international board certified lactation consultant. She has written an interesting article about the new mama's mental health. She writes about social structures and cultural rituals that are in place to support and nurture the new mother. From social seclusion and postpartum rest to protective measures that reflect the new mother's vulnerability, these are some of the things that other cultures are doing as preventative measures against postpartum depression.
And, unfortunately, we are missing something in our culture. Many new mamas often feel alone and isolated. We don't have many of those beautiful rituals in place in our society. Therefor, we must begin in pregnancy to strengthen mothers from the inside out so when they transition into a new mother, there is a strong inner foundation in place. How do we do that? Well, this is what I am working towards...

About me

My photo
I am a mother to two wonderful children. They are definitely my greatest teachers. My family and I are blessed to live in beautiful Ventura, CA, where I work part time at Sunrise Birthing Center, part time with pregnant women and their partners, and very, very full time raising my children to be creative and happy individuals. I love hiking, yoga, and laughing. Laughing is my favorite... And most of all, I love spending time with those that inspire me and touch my heart.

Let's Work Together...

I offer private sessions in the comfort of your own home. These sessions are focused entirely on what you would like to work on.

I also offer phone sessions for those who live too far to meet in person.

Please call me or email me for further information.