Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Restorative Yoga


A writer with Yoga Journal once said "If yoga were a smorgasbord, restorative postures would definitely be at the dessert table." I agree. Restorative yoga poses are nourishing and relaxing, providing us with that time to really be in the pose, as we slow down our bodies and calm our busy, ever chatting minds. What a beautiful type of yoga to do while pregnant. It is not so much about doing, but more about being within ourselves, in the moment, with our babies.

A huge thank you goes out to Michele Landegger, yoga teacher extraordinaire, who braved the thunder and lightning storm to come teach restorative yoga to the mamas in our circle. It was a rainy and cozy evening, with the fire lit, and we all spent an hour and a half melting into poses, fully supported by pillows and blankets. The time flew by as Michele guided us into 5 or 6 poses, I don't remember exactly because I was participating on my own mat, so I wasn't keeping track. I realized how lovely it was to stay in such a supported pose for a longer period of time, to breathe into it and let my body be fully supported. How nurturing it was and how easy it can be for us all to do it at home on our own. What a wonderful way to ease into sleep at night.

The one that everyone seemed to really love is the reclining bound angle pose, we used the strap around our ankles and our back, but it can be done at home with pillows on the bed and floor. It is a great way to open ones chest and heart, stretches inner thigh and groin muscles, while relaxing the mind and the central nervous system. Restorative yoga gives us a chance to slow down, breathe and savor the sweetness of life, as if it were a piece of chocolate cake.

About me

My photo
I am a mother to two wonderful children. They are definitely my greatest teachers. My family and I are blessed to live in beautiful Ventura, CA, where I work part time at Sunrise Birthing Center, part time with pregnant women and their partners, and very, very full time raising my children to be creative and happy individuals. I love hiking, yoga, and laughing. Laughing is my favorite... And most of all, I love spending time with those that inspire me and touch my heart.

Let's Work Together...

I offer private sessions in the comfort of your own home. These sessions are focused entirely on what you would like to work on.

I also offer phone sessions for those who live too far to meet in person.

Please call me or email me for further information.